Back in November 2016, Instagram announced that it would be introducing a Live streaming feature in the app.
Since that announcement, many users of the popular app have been waiting with baited breath for the feature to go live.
This week, Instagram has begun rolling out the feature to all its users across the globe, with many South Africans having received the update last night.
What Is Instagram Live Video?
Instagram’s live video lets you share a live video to connect with your followers in real time. Once a live video has ended, it’s no longer visible on Instagram. Unlike Facebook, which allows people to watch a live video after the live stream has ended, Instagram’s live videos can only be watched while it’s being streamed.
How To Start Your Own Live Video
- Tap the camera icon in the top left of the screen.
- Tap “Live” at the bottom of the screen, then tap “Start Live Video”. Your followers may be notified when you start a live video.
- The number of viewers appears in the top right of the screen, and comments appear at the bottom. Tap Comment to add a comment, and tap and hold a comment to pin it to the top so that viewers can see it more easily.
- To turn comments off, tap the three dots in the corner of the screen then select “Turn Off Commenting”. Keep in mind that any keyword filters you’ve turned on will also apply to comments on your live video.
- When you’re done, tap “End” in the top right then tap to confirm.
Keep in mind that you may not be able to share a live video if your account was recently created.