Wi-Fi hotspots can be found in multiple places all over South Africa and the rest of the world.
Some of the best places to find a Wi-Fi hotspot are malls and coffee shops.
In order to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot, you’ll need to activate Wi-Fi on your computer, tablet or phone. This will allow your device to search for the closest Wi-Fi hotspot. Once it finds all the Wi-Fi connections available in your immediate vicinity, you’ll be able to select a connection from the list which will be displayed on your device.
If the Wi-Fi connection has a lock symbol alongside it, that means that it requires a password in order for you to connect.
Some Wi-Fi hotspots require you to sign-up by entering an email address and/or a mobile phone number.
You can also create your own Wi-Fi hotspots using your smartphone or tablet.
On an Android device :
- Tap on “Settings”
- Under “Network Settings” look for “Hotspot” (on some Android devices this is called “Tethering” or can be found by tapping “More”).
- Once you select “Hotspot” you’ll be able to create a hotspot by sliding a button to turn it on or off.
- Check the name of the hotspot (this is usually the model of phone or tablet that you’re using).
- “Configure Wi-Fi Hotspot” allows you to set up a password and see how many devices are connected to your hotspot.
- In order for a device to connect to your hotspot, they’ll need to enter the password that you’ve created in Step 4.
You should now be able to browse the internet using the connection created by your Android device.
On iOS :
- Tap Settings and Mobile.
- Tap Personal Hotspot and set Personal Hotspot to On.
- Tap on Turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
- Tap Wi-Fi Password and enter a suitable password (this can be any password you choose, it’s not related to your Apple ID or usual Wi-Fi connection).
- Now check the name of the hotspot listed under To Connect Using Wi-Fi.
- Click AirPort in the Menu bar of your Mac and choose the Wi-Fi hotspot (iPhone 5s in our case).
- Enter the password from Step 4.
That should be it. You should now be able to browse the internet using the connection provided by your iPhone.
A Wi-Fi hotspot uses the data or airtime available on your device.